July 8, 2012

The lazy bums

I'm a confessing hoarder of UFOs and just hate to have a guilty conscience about it. As I'm allergetic to all kinds of to-do-lists I came up with this game to have some fun and to (perhaps) get rid of an UFO or two in the process. If you are anything like me do join in on the fun; you won't regret it!

This is a game with all kinds of loopholes for those of us with a TIAASFOTMOMP disorder (there is always a spot for one thing more on my plate). Should you belong to the notorious, but seldomly seen OPAAT species (one project at a time) we part ways here. Goodbye and welcome back again another time.

Anyone still here? Excellent!

The ingridients of this game are:

- one bingo card per player
- a monthly Lazy Bum competition
- gravy points
- one joker card
- duel with drawn pistols at the crack of dawn
- a Best in Show competition
- The Allmighty Triumvirate

The goal is to get rid of all the UFOs disgracing your cupboards. The ingridients might overwhelm you at first sight, but believe me, the framework is very simple! Now to the details:

Bingo card

Everyone needs one bingo card. It is the heart and soul of this game. The card could be a mosaic of your UFOs (directions how to make one will be posted on Flickr), or if you don't want to be bothered with all this new stuff an oldfashioned list. The important thing is that there is a way to allocate a number to your entries.

On this list you should set your goals for each entry and there is no need to set them too high, like a king size quilt with all trimmings. It could be e. g. to make 10 blocks, or to finish a lot of  stitchery or tons of applications. Whatever.

You need to formulate these goals before you hand in your bingo card. Once a month we will let Mr. Random generator decide which UFO is due. (Of course you can cheat as much as you like; Mr. Random is very patient and doesn't snitch on you). You need to tell us which number he came up with within the first five days every month.

You can list your UFOs, some new projects (to keep the spirits up) or, very important, all those drearys that have been waiting for your attention for sooo long, but you don't really feel like finishing.

Bingo cards must be handed in if you want to join. No need to get worried of getting exposed or judged; we will keep your secrets and share ours with you.

First day of each month you tell us which no. you came up with. It will be noted. No, we are not going to try to control your progress; it's meant to give us a hint of what you are working on so we can share in and help you with the hairy parts :-) Nothing like a bit of cheering to keep your good spirits up!




Lazy bums

If you for some reason or other, aren't able to get rid of your current UFO you can write an excuse. No need to be ashamed. These excuses will be a source of joy.
There is an award for the best one. Yes, I mean the dog ate my homework kind. I'm sure you have a couple of them just waiting for the right moment.

The quality of the excuses will be judged by The Allmighty Triumvirate. The most merited will win.The winner will be sent a small surprise to spur you on to new inventivness.


Gravy points


For every item on your Bingo Card you have taken care of you get one gravy point. You can get more than one point a month if you are an overachiever.

Best thing is: The horrors from the bottom of your cupboard are meant to go away. As in chuck away. Yes, there will be gravy points for this as well, but we need evidence. :-)


Joker card

Should you be otherwise engaged one month, you can draw your joker card. No questions asked.
Only one joker card per player. If your timetable is strangling you you can always write an excuse. These excuses are meant to be a source of joy for all of us :-)

Duel

You can challenge another participent to a duel.
This duel is open to whatever you would like to challenge someone with. It could be to take care of the oldest UFO in the pile, or an especially tidious one.

Or  it could mean to let Mr. Random generator choose and you both are stuck with what he comes up with. In this case I would set Mr. Random  and both partners would be stuck with his decision (no cheating).


Best in show


Next year this time we count all gravy points and choose one of you for the Best in Show award. Not only the gravy points are counted; should you finish off your bingo
card you will participate as well.
The prize will be a surprise. Perhaps a book, wool or FQs. Something you will like.







The Allmighty Triumvirate

Now to help me judge the Lazy Bum of the Month and the Best in Show contests I need some assistants.
I'm looking for 2 soulmates to do the honours. Should you be willing to step in and help keep track of all the details or answer questions, all the better :-)


December

December is free time; no UFOs, awards or cheating. Only bliss and the true Christmas spirit.

Who can participate?


This game is open for quilters and knitters alike. You don't need a blog to join the group. If you have already joined some other UFO groups it's no hindrance; you can sign up here as well with the same old UFOs.

How do I sign up?


Leave a comment and/or hop over to Flickr to join the group. 30 qualified participants will be admitted. Please give me a hint of how many UFOs you have hoarded  saved.
We will use Flickr for all kinds of purposes. Pics, questions, messages, excuses, chatting, cheering ...

When do we begin?

The games begin August 1st 2012.

Rules too complicated?

No, you just need a list of your UFOs and the general idea of getting rid of one every month; everything else is unimportant at the moment.

Nothing left for me to say except "Lets get rid of those UFOs together and have some fun in the process. See you on Flickr".

29 comments:

  1. I'm in. I'm SO in!
    Lots and lots of ufo's and projects everywhere - and if I can get some of them done while having a lot of fun - oh boy - that would be great!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yippie!!! You are just my kind of gal Rosa! I knew I could count on you.

      Delete
  2. Count me in please, I have a laundry basket of UFO's and need a good push to do something with them so thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a fab idea! I've just started hosting a QAL though, so I think my massive pile of UFOs would remain untouched. Still considering it though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need to worry - there are loopholes the size of barndoors in this one :-)
      You could just write creative excuses and sack some goodies in the process, or put your QAL on the list, nicely portioned of course.

      Delete
  4. It sounds great! Maybe I need a good kick on my lazy bum to get rid of all my UFO's and finish some of them... I'm in! Although sometimes I won't understand the jokes, hahahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun idea, I'll try and get organised!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Benta and welcome to the group.Great to see you!

      Delete
  6. Hi May, I'll join in. I'm not sure how many UFOs I have. If you count patterns and fabric alone, I have more than 11. If you count works in progress, I'm not sure. So I will find my UFOs and give them a number by August 1st and follow your blog. Count me IN!!! I need this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeanne and welcome to the group! Lets set some fire to those darned UFOs :-)

      Delete
  7. This sounds like a fun game!! I have lots of UFO's (at least 15 quilting projects) and this might be just the group to get me going on them! Count me in if you still have room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janet and welcome to the group. I'm looking forward to getting to know you better.

      Delete
  8. I should really sign up to finally get to the bottom of the pile... I am not sure I can keep up but again if it doesn't have to be each quilt/object finished each month, maybe this is do-able for me! I have far too many UFO to count I guess but I can draw a lost of 12 or more easily...
    Thanks for the motivation.
    Celine

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a fab game - I'd love to join in but because I'm quite a new quilter and I've been trying trying really hard to do the one-project-at-a-time thing I don't really have enough UFOs to get started :( I'll enjoy watching you all get yours finished though :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you still have space I would love to join in and share my UFO pile with you and maybe even get some completed!!! I am back home from a wee holiday on the 10th of August - will this be ok???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just counted my UFO's and WiP's and I have....wait for it....15 projects sitting in limbo. I can have my bingo card in before I go on hol and I can tell you which one I 'promise' to work on... I'm a serial 'starter' but an 'absentee quilter' when it comes to finishing.

      Delete
  11. I've done my short list already for the next three months! Does that mean I'm ahead of the game!? If you duel - is it to the death - of a UFO or quilter?? Amy and I have a lot in common. But May you realise with all these bees you start you are part of my problem - I can't stop joining in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and you never start anything and I jump in with both feet first? *sigh*
      Good that this one takes care of the roadkills...

      Delete
  12. Awe this is funny....I have actually been consistently adding something to the UFO pile every month......what a novel idea to knock them off !!!!! I should warn you though I am a pretty seriouse TIAASFOTMOMP !!! I don't have an active blog.....because .....well, I have just been way to busy adding UFO's. I am active on flickr though so should be able to keep up.......maybe :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. thanks for the morning chuckles - i would like to join and i think it will take every day left till aug to list those pesky ufos and wips and want to starts...this is my first join up so let me know if there is anything else i have to do except have fun...Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue
      Just a small detail, like your email so I can contact you... :-)

      Delete
  14. Hey May, this sounds like fun, but I am not gonna join. Unfortunately I have to many UFOs that have nothing to do with sewing :( and I have a hard enough time to finish my bee blocks. I hope you are gonna have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooh!
      Thanks for the good wishes. I am having a great time and those UFOs have already started to get off the ground - two weeks before the official start :-)

      Delete
  15. I am going to join your group. I have been a serious quilter (means taking classes, etc.) for 10 years. So my UFO list is overwhelming. This group is just what I need. I'll try not to use the excuse of joining late the 1st month, no promises. I do not have a blog, but use Flicker. Maybe I will learn to make the mosaic at some point. I know my UFO list is well over 25. So I know I already am a LAZY BUM, I just belong to a titled group now.
    P.S. you are still under your total of 30 right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gi (?)
      first of all - this is really great news and your are more than welcome to join us!
      There is no need for a blog for this game, so no problem :-)
      We communicate by Flickr most of the time and we have a spreadsheet for our lists.
      We'd love to see your UFOs, but its rather much work to do a mosaic, so there is no need unless you want to.
      But what I do need is your email address. Otherwise I cannot contact you.

      Delete